Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Dinner with the Good Beer Folks!

I pulled up to a parking spot on Powell Street. I looked at my watch, it's 6:05PM. I walked down the street and turned onto Carrall Street where I met my beautiful girl. A door swung open and we were greeted at The Irish Heather. We walked into a private courtyard (Shebeen Whisky House) behind The Irish Heather and experienced a large selection of whiskies lined up on the wall. If you love whisky, you have to check this place out. Just enough time to grab a drink before dinner.

We were called into the Salty Tongue Cafe around 6:40PM to find a seat. We sat with 38 other individuals at a 40ft communal table and were introduced to the dinner menu for the evening along with the beer that was paired with it. We had Veal Schnitzel with Mashed Potatoes, Carrots and Anchovy Butter and a bottle of Steam Whistle Pilsner for $12. Wow...what a deal! I would highly recommend it if you can make it out to one of the Long Table Series. Reserve early, as it sells out quick.

The dinner was amazing and was paired really nicely with an ice cold Steam Whistle Pilsner (5.0% ABV). This golden coloured Pilsner is bottled in a distinctive green bottle from Steam Whistle Brewing (Toronto, ON). I love the look of this bottle - vintage looking without any paper labels on it. I am not a Pilsner fan, but this one was really good. It had a crisp/clean malt flavour - very smooth and refreshing. The taste was nicely balanced - it didn't taste watered down nor did it have any overpowering aftertaste. They use traditional brewing techniques and with only 4 natural ingredients (spring water, malted barley, hops and yeast - all GMO-free).

I respect how Steam Whistle Brewing has focused on creating just one type of beer and do it really well. Whistle - woo...woo!

1 comment:

Norman Yeung said...

This place sounds great.

I didn't know Steam Whistle was available in Vancouver. It's one of my favourite pilseners. You should visit their brewery -- very friendly, and like their product, the environment is well designed.

You're making me thirsty.